Worth Quoting

Sometimes the Lord calms the storm, sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child.

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent


Borax - 1 (4 lb 12 oz) box - $3.38 Walmart
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda - 1 (3 lb 7 oz) box - $3.24 Walmart
OxyClean - 1 (3 lb) box - $7.52 Walmart
Zote soap bars - 2 (14.1 oz) bars - $.97 ea Walmart
Arm & Hammer Baking Soda - 1 (4 lb) box - $2.12 Walmart
Purex Crystals Fabric Softener - 1-2 (55 oz) bottles - $4.76 ea Walmart

Directions:
1. Grate Zote or Fels Naptha soap bars with cheese grater or food processor into a large bucket or container. I used a 5 gallon paint bucket.
2. Mix all ingredients together. It's easiest to pour some of each ingredient and then mix together. Once all ingredients are in the bucket you'll need a large metal spoon to stir. Be sure to scrap all from the bottom.
3. Use 3-4 Tablespoons per laundry load.

Tips:
1. I've used the Fels Naptha soap but prefer the Zote soap - it's softer and easier to grate. If you use the Fels Naptha, the bars are smaller so be sure to buy more. I think you need 5-6.
2. I only use 1 bottle of the fabric softener but if you like your towels and other items softer you can certainly use 2 bottles.
3. Once my mix is complete, I store it in a clear lidded container. It makes a lot so use either the oxyclean or fabric softener container and refill them as needed. I'm thinking I'll make a cute little label for the oxyclean container that I use.

If you're not convinced and want to try to some, let me know and I'll send you some to sample. My family and friends that make this really love it. It is also safe for HE machines. Put a label on the container with the date that you started using it - it will shock you how long it will last!! Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment