Here were my Inspiration Ideas:
I knew that I wanted a covered headboard. Sarah is so "wild" that any wooden headboard was certain to be accident central and I didn't even consider a footboard with the certainly that she'd be jumping off of it and was certain to be impaled - also a guaranteed trip to the hospital.
I found a twin size headboard on craigslist for $20 and recovered it with chocolate velvet and added the pink chenille buttons and trim.
Then I found some patchwork type fabric with all her room colors at the most fantastic fabric store in Atlanta, Forsyth Fabrics with my fabric lover friend, Ariel! I trimmed the comforter in a brown dot and lime green sheet I found. I took the same pink chenille I used on the headboard to make the fronts of the bedskirt. The pillow sham is a mix of the brown dot and a lime green. The lime green is also between the pink panels of the bedskirt.
Once the bed was finished, it was time to work on the tree. I had been searching for the look I wanted for awhile. Since we are renting our house, painting wasn't an option. I had to find something that would give me the girly tree I was looking for without paint. I saw some vinyl that was okay, but it either was too wispy or just looked like a dead tree. One day while at The Dollar Tree I was a brown bark shelf liner paper. I realized I could use that - umm $2/roll was also a HUGE motivator!
It literally was as easy as drawing a tree outline on the backside of the shelf liner paper and then cutting it out. I made the tree trunk in several sections and simply taped all the pieces up with blue painters tape. I continued to add pieces, move pieces, trim pieces until I got the look I wanted. Once I thought I was mostly happy with it, I removed each section with the blue painters tape, pulled off the adhesive backing and put it back in place.
It looked like a winter tree with some slight hint of girliness. I knew I wanted to add flowers, so I got to work making them. I found the idea off the following blog: dearlillieblog.blogspot.com
They are not difficult to make, but there is a technique with making sure you gather them tightly after you sew them and then roll them loosly - if you want them to be full.
They're made from crepe paper - party streamers. I mixed light pink and hot pink flowers.
Once I had the flowers made, I took light green crepe paper and cut out leaves. I sewed the leaves together and gathered them so they would roll up. Then I used sticky tack to "glue" the flowers on the branches and onto the wall.
I can't promise that it will help your daughter sleep better, but Sarah sure sleeps well under her "flower tree."